Want to know my top 5 habits that lead to more energy? Are you always asking yourself how can I stop feeling tired all the time? How can I increase my energy and motivation during the day? Does this sound like you? It was me not too long ago. I couldn’t figure out why my energy level was so low. At first, I thought it could be a medical factor. When I went to my doctor all my blood labs were normal. So, why then was I so tired? This leads me to the understanding it was my habits that were causing me to feel tired all the time. From my research, these are my top 5 habits that lead to more energy.
Top 5 Habits That Lead to More Energy
- Good night’s sleep
- Drink water
- Eat a balanced diet
- Relieve stress
Forming these five habits, when done routinely, will give you the energy you need each day. So you are saying okay, Suzy but how do I create new habits when right now everything is going crazy in my world? Start with one area and focus on it until it is natural for you. For each of the top 5 habits that lead to more energy, I will discuss ideas of how to start changing your habits to incorporate them into your daily life.
1. Get a good night’s sleep every night.
How do I form sleep habits naturally? Again, start with a small step and work your way up from there. Here are some tips on how to change your sleeping habits so you are rested every night. Start with one of these tips and do it every night, over time add another one as you feel confident you are able to do it every night.
- Go to bed at the same time each night.
- Wake up at the same time each night.
- Power down your devices 1 hour prior to going to bed.
- Listen to meditation before falling asleep.
- Take a hot bath or shower before bed.
- Stop eating at least 2 hours before bed.
- Have a comfortable mattress and pillow.
- Limit caffeine to the morning only.
- Try not to nap during the day if possible.
- Read a book (paper not electronic) prior to sleep.
2. Drink more water during the day.
Most people are walking around chronically dehydrated. What does this mean? Your body is made up of 70% fluid (not all water). In order for your cells to function properly throughout your body, they need to be hydrated. When a person isn’t getting enough water in their body, they become mildly dehydrated. This can lead to feeling tired with less concentration. One way to clear brain fog is to form a drink more water habit during the day. Here are some tips you can use to increase your water intake daily.
- Get a water bottle you only use for water.
- Keep the bottle with you all day, every day.
- Increase your water slowly at first.
- Measure your water so you know how much you are drinking.
- Use a phone app to log your water intake.
- Get a buddy to be accountable to.
- Note how you are feeling when you drink more water.
3. Eat a balanced diet.
How do I create a balanced diet habit? Getting the right amounts of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats), fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This seems like a large list of what to eat. Here is an easy way to look at your eating habits at each meal. And few rules you can follow to help balance your blood sugar to keep your energy up during the day.
- Eat protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats at every meal.
- Limit processed foods.
- Limit and/or exclude added sugar.
- If eating processed foods, pick one with the least ingredients on the label.
- When you eat sugar include a protein and healthy fat with it.
- Make a habit to ask yourself at every meal, do I have a protein, healthy fat, and carbohydrate? Add what is missing.
4. Relieve stress and anxiety.
How do I form stress relief habits in this busy world we live in? This one is different for everyone. When you create habits to reduce stress and anxiety, it helps your body to function properly. Creating a healthy mindset will help you to reduce stress. You will sleep better, eat better, and overall make better choices. Here are just a few ideas for reducing stress.
- Learn to say no.
- Clear your calendar of things you don’t need.
- Ask for help.
- Write down what is bothering you.
- Breathe slowly in and out to reduce anxiety.
- Ask yourself “how important is this really?”
- Talk with a friend or close relative.
- Do yoga or stretch.
5. Self-Care, why is it so important?
Self-care habits are deliberately taking time to do something you enjoy that helps to relax you and boost your energy. It produces positive feelings that help with self-esteem and feeling good about yourself. When I get my hair done I feel pretty and put together. This helps me to be confident. By taking time for myself I create a healthy mindset for positive energy. Here are some ideas for self-care habits you can incorporate into your lifestyle.
- Taking care of your beauty (hair, nails, and skin).
- Dressing in a way that makes you feel good.
- Lighting candles and playing relaxing music.
- Playing with your pets.
- Chatting with your girlfriends.
- Taking a yoga class.
- Playing a sport.
- Walking either alone or with a friend.
- Taking a weekend trip.
These are just some of the many ideas you can do in order to take care of yourself. Feeling confident and positive motivates you in life and gives you natural energy.
Now that you have the top five habits that lead to more energy, which one will you focus on today? As you start forming new habits it’s important to have an accountability partner and support. If you would like more information about creating new habits and partner with ladies like you join my Facebook group Healthy Habits Inspiration & Accountability for Women.
You are in control of creating lasting habits for a healthy lifestyle. If you would like to discuss habit coaching schedule a chat with me.